New Features in Version 2.0

Developer
Jul 17, 2007 at 9:02 PM
We've added a lot of new features to Family.Show in this release: filtering, sorting, in-place editing in a list view control, skinning, etc, along with a new whitepaper. It was fun to write and while there is always more we’d like to add to the application, we had to draw the line somewhere.

We'd love to hear what you think about the new features. Use this discussion to tell us what you think.

Thanks,

-- Vertigo Family.Show Team
Jul 17, 2007 at 11:21 PM
I am used to put ascii 160 character (soft space) between compound nouns and Family.Show is not importing this character from GEDCOM file. Moreover, latin characters are also not being imported.
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2007 at 11:22 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2007 at 11:24 PM
Thanks guercheLE; this feature request has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 18, 2007 at 2:08 AM
It would be nice if photos were encoded into the XML for a single file experience, or even packed OPC (the wrapper tech for XPS, DOCX, PPTX, etc. files), which has support in .NET 3.0 under the System.IO.Packaging namespace.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2007 at 4:31 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2007 at 4:37 AM
Thanks heaths; this feature request has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Jul 18, 2007 at 4:19 PM
Thanks Tim,

I am a brazilian systems analyst since 1993 and amateur genealogist since 1999 and was glad when found a post in your blog http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2007/07/17/announcing-family-show-2-0.aspx about Family.Show. Hope I can contribute/help in anyway.

Luciano Evaristo Guerche
Taboao da Serra, SP, Brazil
http://weblogs.asp.net/guercheLE

timsneath wrote:
Thanks guercheLE; this feature request has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:17 AM
I find your program very nice.
Is it possible to integrate a feature to show the whole family tree, not only the part reagarding to the selected person.
Greetings from Germany.
Jul 19, 2007 at 11:50 AM
Edited Jul 19, 2007 at 11:51 AM

fisch3009 wrote:
I find your program very nice.
Is it possible to integrate a feature to show the whole family tree, not only the part reagarding to the selected person.
Greetings from Germany.

Indeed!
I have a 1680x1050x2 res in screen real estate here - I can fit waaaay more then 10 people on the screen not to mention the ability to zoom to where I want to go in one step by having everyone on the screen at once!!
Please add whole tree view :)

This program is awesome.

What would be great as well in some sort of integrated sharing facility via svn/webdav/ftp/something so multiple people could work on the tree at once and add there bits in seamlessly.
I can use a SVN client (and setup/host required server) but the rest of the family can't . . .
At the very least some sort of merge feature would be good. Then at least we can email each other :)

I could probably do this if I had time, knew .NET (Java fanboy though atm I've had to learn PHP, bleh..), had visual studio, had time to learn everything to get started...

Thanks again ;)
Jul 20, 2007 at 11:56 AM
I miss one more feature:
to add relationships (brother, sister, father, spouse) between in past created persons
without this feature some relationships can't created, without having persons twice
Jul 20, 2007 at 3:40 PM

fisch3009 wrote:
I miss one more feature:
to add relationships (brother, sister, father, spouse) between in past created persons
without this feature some relationships can't created, without having persons twice

Umm I think I've done what your talking about.

You can click the child and go details then pick the right parents and based on the parents it decides who the brothers & sisters are :)
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2007 at 7:50 AM

fisch3009 wrote:
I miss one more feature:

As SoreGums indicates, this is possible for the majority of cases - you can use the relationships button to set the correct parents for a child (if, for example, one parent has remarried). There are a few instances we don't handle, however - for example, two cousins being married to one another. There are many edge cases like this that are hard to handle without adding a lot of complexity, and we wanted to try and ensure that the code for this application is as easy to understand as possible. Please feel free to log a work item for the feature you have in mind, however.
Jul 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Ok I have the following relationship.
Parents 1 have a daughter (woman A) and a son (man A), Parents 2 have also a daugther (woman B) and a son (man B).
Now woman A is married with man B and man A is married with woman B.
If I want to create this relationship. I can create the parrents and the children but I can't "marry" them. If I create first parents 1 and their children, then create man B as spouse of woman A. I can create parents 2 as the parents of man B. But their is still woman B which only can created as daughter of parents 2 OR as spouse of man A.
So a function to marry existing people with each other.
Jul 27, 2007 at 6:19 AM
I found this program is very nice for Asia, especially Asian got more family tradition and long family history.

I had tested it and I can input Traditional Chinese without problem.
And I had introduced to my friend in Japan to test the Japanese characters.
He will try to put the family history from 1600.

And one thing if you can add "a switch" to change the display order, then it will be even better for Asia (Japan / Korea / China / Taiwan).
Above 4 countries that to display their name, normally they use this sequence.
"Family Name" first, then "Pesonal Name" in the end.
Jul 29, 2007 at 6:04 AM
Edited Jul 29, 2007 at 6:20 AM
I've been studying your aweomse program most of the day. Trying to learn new things, and convering code to VB.NET.

Love your program. You really got me thinking.

Cheers,

Karl
Jul 30, 2007 at 9:01 PM
BUG REPORT:

There are at least two errors in the way that spouse relationships are adding during GEDCOM import. Specifically, cases where only one parent is known have problems. Also, I have cases where a person with multiple spouses with multiple children do not import properly.

In the ImportChildren method, there is some flawed logic. I grabbed the FamilyShow code to help me generate the XML for a seperate purpose and encountered this problem. I do not know the code to fix FamilyShow, but here is my modification that worked for my purpose. Please look at this method.

By the way, GREAT PROGRAM. This is honestly one of the coolest applications I've seen in a long time. Thank you several time over for putting this together.

Here is the code i modified in GedcomImport.cs in the ImportChildren method, changes are at the end:

foreach (string child in children)
{
// Get the Person object for the child.
Person childPerson = people.Find(child);

// Calling RelationshipHelper.AddChild hooks up all of the
// child relationships for the husband and wife. Also hooks up
// the sibling relationships.
if (husbandPerson != null && wifePerson != null && childPerson != null)
{
RelationshipHelper.AddChild(people, husbandPerson, childPerson);
RelationshipHelper.AddChild(people, wifePerson, childPerson);
}

if (husbandPerson == null && wifePerson != null && childPerson != null)
RelationshipHelper.AddChild(people, wifePerson, childPerson);

if (husbandPerson != null && wifePerson == null && childPerson != null)
RelationshipHelper.AddChild(people, husbandPerson, childPerson);
Aug 9, 2007 at 3:00 AM
Nice application. Works well on my Vista laptop. But under XP, the dates of marriages over the spouse arc just shows 4 boxes. This is probably because of a missing font, or the font is different between XP and Vista.

I agree with Fisch about the need for circles in relationships.

Would be nice to layout the tree in such a way that not all "rows" of people are centred. Because of this, there is often parents way out to the side with their children in the middle.

Need a full graph view as well.

...Matt
Aug 9, 2007 at 10:28 PM
I have imported a modest GEDCOM file (~1000 people) and some of the relationships did not get created. I'm not sure why this is, but when I try to create the relationship between two people that already exist I cannot do it. I do not see a way to do it. I would think you could do it either by going to the Relationships button under Edit Person (but there is very little that shows up here) or by Adding a Family Member and being able to select an existing person (but that's not an option).

If it is possible to add an existing person as a spouse/parent/child, please explain how it is done - I must be missing it.

I love the app, by the way. I am trying to use it as example code and love it! Thanks!

Jonathan
Sep 3, 2007 at 7:53 PM
This application is brillant, I have been searching for a visually nice looking application for a very long time!!!Please help, my family is based all over the world. Is there a web host for this application?Please reply urgently,

Many thanks!!!!

Sangy
Sep 6, 2007 at 3:44 PM
The program keeps crashing on me when I try to run it in Windows Vista Ultimate. I have reinstalled it a few times, but after a while it just ends up doing the same thing to me again. I have sent the error reports to microsoft as well.
Sep 10, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Can anyone help??? I really need some advice!!!!!

Is there a web host for this application?Please reply urgently,

Sangy
Sep 11, 2007 at 2:26 AM

sangy wrote:

Sangy

There isn't :)

I asked for this feature earlier in this thread......
Sep 11, 2007 at 7:34 PM

SoreGums wrote:

sangy wrote:

Sangy

There isn't :)

I asked for this feature earlier in this thread......

Thanks for getting back to me!!!!!- Do you know a way that I could get this onto a Web page???

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:01 PM

timsneath wrote:

fisch3009 wrote:
I miss one more feature:

As SoreGums indicates, this is possible for the majority of cases - you can use the relationships button to set the correct parents for a child (if, for example, one parent has remarried). There are a few instances we don't handle, however - for example, two cousins being married to one another. There are many edge cases like this that are hard to handle without adding a lot of complexity, and we wanted to try and ensure that the code for this application is as easy to understand as possible. Please feel free to log a work item for the feature you have in mind, however.

I have a similar situation in my family:
- A man (Y1) has a son (Y2) with woman X1 and a daughter with woman X2
- X2 also has a daughter (X3) with another man (Y3)
- Y2 marries X3 (perfectly legal as they have no common blood; funny thing is that they had the same last name before marriage because X2 never married Y3)

Therefore the family tree is not a tree anymore (in the sense of graph theory). :-)

Kind regards,
Willi
Sep 29, 2007 at 2:16 PM
I have a similar problem with brothers in one family marrying sisters in another... so the ability to add a relationship to a previously created person would be a great feature.

Also want to say it's a great app and a really nice example of WPF.

fisch3009 wrote:
Ok I have the following relationship.
Parents 1 have a daughter (woman A) and a son (man A), Parents 2 have also a daugther (woman B) and a son (man B).
Now woman A is married with man B and man A is married with woman B.
If I want to create this relationship. I can create the parrents and the children but I can't "marry" them. If I create first parents 1 and their children, then create man B as spouse of woman A. I can create parents 2 as the parents of man B. But their is still woman B which only can created as daughter of parents 2 OR as spouse of man A.
So a function to marry existing people with each other.

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:27 AM
I was trying to enhance the sample family tree of the Windsor family and ran into problem with Victoria Alexandria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VictoriaoftheUnitedKingdom). She is ancestor of both, Elizabeth II as well as her husband Prince Philip,

Ability to link a person by drag-drop would be a great feature, ability to select an existing persion for a parent would also be a good feature.
Dec 16, 2007 at 1:47 PM
Have you considered a different language to store (in-memory and on disc) the family data? There's a lot of redundancy in the format (as far as i can remember). Parents pointing to children and children pointing to parents. The OWL language enables you to specify these relationships in a schema and have the OWL engine infer them in the in-memory graph based on actual data. That being said, what I miss most is:

a) ability to connect graphs in an online community (sharing data from other people), a sort of wikipedia of geneaology
b) more views, in particular beautiful views for printing purposes (posters of family tree :-)

That's it.
Dec 27, 2007 at 12:37 PM
Problem

My programs stops responding every time I click the photos and stories button

What can I do?
Jan 7, 2008 at 9:57 PM
I can only say, gorgeous, with regards to FamilyShow. I've been using it for awhile now & find it easy & intuitive, and yet, extremely powerful. Thank you for sharing this.
Arnold
Developer
Jan 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM

Mikean wrote:
Problem

What can I do?

Mikean:

Have you tried changing skins before you click the photos and stories button? If you change to the gray/silver skin using the drop down menu, then click the photos and stories button, I think that may 'fix' the problem. This is a known bug in the current version of Family.Show.

Thanks,

Paul Osburn
Vertigo Software
Mar 26, 2008 at 9:43 AM
By far the best genealogie program I have seen so far. For me it's good enough to accept the few bugs and shortcomings. I can live with them.

The only thing I really miss is a solution for the problem fish3009 wrote about.
To give a simple example:
Let say my brother marries my wives sister.
You have to correct the data file by hand. That's difficult and time consuming, but it can be done.

It would be nice if the Vertigo Family.Show Team could build a solution in the program itself.

Greetings from
The Netherlands.
May 31, 2008 at 12:23 PM
From Brother keeper i have imported GEDCOM in Family Show. This cause some relationships breaks and now i am unable to link these relationships with forefathers. They exists in the database like another separate family and there is no option in family show except to delete them and make them add lateron.

Yasir Adnan
Pakistan
Jun 20, 2008 at 3:33 AM
Hi their,

I love the silverlight solution and I am very much interested in seing a merge functionality. If a merge functionality is added then lot of issues can be resolved very easily.

thanks,
Wasay
Michigan, USA
Sep 22, 2008 at 7:47 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2008 at 7:50 PM
Greetings,

Great application.

For those of you who are trying to add extra relationships, just open the family file in a text editor and change it from both persons' relationship side.

For Vertigo, it would be nice if you added that capability in listview by selecting a person on the left, a relationship in the middle, and another person on the right.  This would take care of all known issues.  Also, since most people in a family tree should have the same last name, it would be nice if you had a middle name field.  In some countries, people are known by their first and middle names in the village they grew up in since most people in the same village have the same last name.

Kudos on a nice application.  Now if only it was available offline (downloadable) and online (web app).  :-)

Bassam Abdul-Baki
Oct 8, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Hello,

This WPF application is really awesome and very interesting to study to learn WPF. While self training on this technology, I’ve played with the code source and I’ve finally modified it to be dynamically connected to an Active Directory source. 

The code source currently works fine for instance against our own AD organization. I’m retrieving the pictures from our AD also. I've tested it also against a demo W2K8 demo AD.

You'll find a screenshot of the result, the binairies and the code source here : http://code.msdn.com/activedirectoryshow 

You’ll find some French resources here :

- A mini user guide on my blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/davrous/archive/2008/10/07/activedirectory-show-et-son-code-source-sont-disponibles.aspx
- A MSDN article with a video showing the code in action : http://msdn.microsoft.com/fr-fr/netframework/cc563816.aspx 

Thanks again to Vertigo for this great job!

Regards,

David

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM
This is a really great high quality WPF application.
Thanks for the source code.

I want to know though, in looking at the document outline of the app I notice that you have a DockPanel->Grid (MainGrid) and several grids below this.
Is there a reason why you used the DockPanel instead of just a Grid.
Why didn't you use just 1 grid with several columns. Whats the reasoning behind this layered Grid approach?
Feb 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM
Apolgies if this is the wrong place to post this - but I cannot get the install routine to work. Receiving the following message on Vista, IE8. Is there a way to download an executable file?

Error Message

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
 Windows    : 6.0.6001.65536 (Win32NT)
 Common Language Runtime  : 2.0.50727.3053
 System.Deployment.dll   : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
 mscorwks.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
 dfdll.dll    : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
 Deployment url   : http://www.vertigo.com/downloads/familyshow/familyshow.application

ERROR SUMMARY
 Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
 * Activation of http://www.vertigo.com/downloads/familyshow/familyshow.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
  + Lock timeout exception.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
 No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
 There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
 * [02/02/2009 19:08:14] : Activation of http://www.vertigo.com/downloads/familyshow/familyshow.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
 Following errors were detected during this operation.
 * [02/02/2009 19:10:14] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentException (LockTimeout)
  - Lock timeout exception.
  - Source: System.Deployment
  - Stack trace:
   at System.Deployment.Application.LockedFile.AcquireLock(String path, TimeSpan timeout, Boolean writer)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.AcquireLock(DefinitionIdentity asmId, Boolean writer)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore..ctor(String deployPath, String tempPath, ComponentStoreType storeType)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.get_CurrentUser()
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
 No transaction information is available.

Developer
Feb 3, 2009 at 6:05 AM
NClayforth:

I'm not sure what happened when you tried to install Family.Show. We've done some testing with the latest build of IE8 on various Windows boxes and it seems to work well. You may want to try again or you could get the source and build yourself.

Thanks,

paul
Mar 9, 2009 at 6:35 AM
This is a great app! I was looking for someting like this (and to learn a bit of WPF on the way) for my father, who is retired and has been collecting all our family tree up to 4 generations back during the last year. I have one request though:

Here in latin america (read México) family names are composed out of the last name of our father and the last name of our mother thus resulting in a two last name pair. It would be great to have an additional field to save this information. thanks...
Jun 17, 2009 at 4:33 PM

This program is exactly what I had been looking for, and so far I'm very impressed with it. Having to install .NET 3.5 was a bit of a pain during the installation process, but I assume it's not possible to download the whole thing as a single installer file (XP user)?

Anyway, I was wondering what my options are for sharing my completed family tree with the rest of my family? I see that I can export the whole thing as an .XPS image, but is there any way to share an interactive version without them having to install the whole Family.Show program on their computer?

Thanks guys - really excellent work, keep it up!

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:18 AM

Brilliant program and certainly makes other genealogy applications seem so archaic.  I have been researching genealogy since 1996 and no other applications have ever quite met my needs.  You're definitely on the right track.  As expected, there are a few glitches i.e. photos and profiles which still doesn't work even when changing the skin.  Would help to have extra fields to indicate where marriage and baptism took place, and to include parentage in the family data page (the filter function is excellent).  Am curious though I haven't come across that problem yet, which I no doubt will soon (have only just started using the application yesterday), how would one address children who are adopted?  Also most genealogy research I undertake are in Scandinavia and with different alphabets, I am having to cut and paste place names in fields according to their correct spelling.  Also is it possible to change field names into another language and add extra fields i.e. for baptism?    

Kudos on a great application!  

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM
posburn wrote:

Mikean wrote:
Problem

What can I do?

Mikean:

Have you tried changing skins before you click the photos and stories button? If you change to the gray/silver skin using the drop down menu, then click the photos and stories button, I think that may 'fix' the problem. This is a known bug in the current version of Family.Show.

Thanks,

Paul Osburn
Vertigo Software

Tried that but still crashes when I try to save with some photos - some are okay but others it crashes on (very random) - pictures all sized at about 400 x 300 - also some photos appear in the wrong place! I've put some photos in for one person and they appear in other people's details as well - sorry to report problems on what otherwise is a super app

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM

It's been a while since you guys have said anything about the next release of Family.Show. I hope the project is not dead. Also, this page was never updated to say "New features in Version 3.0", or at least change the feedback link on your homepage to a new discussion page every time a new version is released.

Thanks,

Bassam

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Hi!

What is the interest of maintaining V2 if the last stable release is V4.5?

Update, please.

Apr 23, 2010 at 4:19 PM

dsazevedo what do you mean by V4.5?

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Hey....

Check this out:

http://familyshow.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets

If you check, there is a post/downloadable/whatever version by DEEPFOREST, dated: Dec 13, 2009. the top one. 

That is what I ment by V4.5! Didn't you know that?

Now you do!

bye

Diamantino

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Ive never tried version two, been working on a sudoku site how to solve sudoku and just tooka break to peak in, sounds interesting

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Edited Jun 3, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Finally, I seem to have found a genealogy program that looks like it may be the one to go with after all these years. I used to do my family tree back in the 80's with 2 different DOS based programs (before GEDCOM), but since software seems to be chasing its tail on a perpetual basis, I gave it up as I didn't want to try to keep it working each time a new OS comes out. I hated the thought of having to chain myself to Ancestry.com to which a monthly rent is mandatory, so open source seems to be the ticket to the future for me.

With Windows 7 Pro I was able to run virtual XP AND run one of those old programs. At least I can access my over 300+ records/files of old genea data to at least see it, since the likelihood of ever electronically upgrading it is nearly hopeless. Then tonight I ran across Family.Show which looked pretty good so I figured I'd try it (ver. 3). I entered a few generations of my family data (as I viewed my old program side by side to copy it over) and I love it. At least now I seem to have something I can work with to make it current enough to produce a GEDCOM file for future safe keeping, and perhaps even take it up again.

I'm using ver. 3.0, but is that the latest?

Is Family.Show still on the burner? I hope so.

Thanks,
Ken

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Hi Ken.

This project is not died. However, developments are a little on the sparse side.

You have two options:

If you like a software project you could tailor your way, this is the place. Find here the current working version, (4.something), just look around on other threads and you will find it.

If you like a full “finished” software, visit www.chronoplexsoftware.com. Its “My family tree”, from Andrew, one of the original developers, something out of the shelf kind.

Bye

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Andrew,

Thanks so much for the so soon reply. I downloaded the current version you referenced, and am playing with it now. YES, I like it more, as it has html capability built in.

This could be a real big hit with the genealogy market, as everything on the market these days, well ...nearly everything, is set up to chain one to LDS's Ancestry.com and it's monthly dues. I don't want to be a slave to that.

What I see with the more "finished" version I love even more, as I'm not a programmer. Although, I have built and do build websites.

Ken