Wishlist for Version 3

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:58 AM
Edited Jul 23, 2007 at 11:02 AM
I started using this app from version 2. It's a great showcase for WPF but I am now addicted to tracing my family's history
I noticed a few things that would be good if they were added to the app and I thought others might like to add to this. I understand the point of this program is not the actual genealogy and more of a WPF concept but if there is a version 3.0 this would be nice to have.
  • Birth Name - e.g. My wife was Miss Smith and married me, Dr Jones in 2000. When I go back in time it removes the link but doesn't represent her old name
  • Nickname - my dad is Patrick Anthony, (as was his father and his father's father) but he is known to everyone as Tony
  • Integration with Outlook or Vista Contacts/Calendar - The anniversaries could show up on the calendar and I could use it with an address book. These are typically business focused but linking it with Family.Show could really revolutionize these programs
  • Extras - It would be cool to have a screensaver/slideshow view. It could move through time or bloodlines showing how peoples relationships change and link with their stories/photos
  • I saw this was in the whitepaper but it would be great to have "another visualization that displays everyone in one giant tree"
  • A way to e-mail multiple family members the tree for them to update and the merge all responses together. This would need some kind of control for managing conflicts.

The more I think about it this could become a great feature of a home-focused operating system.
What do you think, any more ideas?

What do you think?
Jul 23, 2007 at 5:48 PM
My only request would be to have an option to set the source directory for all photos. I would like to allow other family members to update the file on their computers i.e. we e-mail the files around. The app could also allow a relative path to the location of the family file, e.g. D:\FamilyTree\ourfamily.family, the photos would be in the D:\FamilyTree\Images\ folder. This way one could just e-mail the zipped FamilyTree directory.

Many thanks.
Jul 24, 2007 at 12:53 PM
I would recommend an option, to show all related objects. F.e. it would be nice to see all releatives with the relatives of the partners.
Jul 25, 2007 at 7:54 PM
Just one simple thing. To be able to change the display format for names like "First Last", "Last, First" or "Last First" etc. "Last First" is the format used in Hungary. Thanks!
Jul 29, 2007 at 10:44 AM
I would love to have a SilverLight option that would facilitate this request make above "A way to e-mail multiple family members the tree for them to update and the merge all responses together. This would need some kind of control for managing conflicts"
Aug 4, 2007 at 5:57 PM
A third option for parent's relationship:

unmarried

Could also add Marriage/Ceremony date.
Aug 7, 2007 at 5:45 AM
Love the interface, brings a refreshed look and fell to it, vs many of the other softwares out there.
One feature that I have not seen in any GEDCOM compatible software is a sync ability.

Currently I have everything saves in MS Outlook as my primary database. I know not the best option.
But 6 other programs interface into it.

The Family Tree is the only item I have not been able to automate into the update design.
I would like to see a way to import or sync between the software and outlook (either directly or through some type of .csv import)
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:56 PM
Edited Aug 10, 2007 at 4:58 PM
I didn't see this on there and I'm very new to the application so forgive me if this is available already or has been addressed. Is there any way to handle Divorced parents? I'd like to include Step- and Half- siblings, but I don't see a way to do it right now.

If it's not possible right now I'd like to see that feature added if possible.
Aug 31, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Wint wrote:
I didn't see this on there and I'm very new to the application so forgive me if this is available already or has been addressed. Is there any way to handle Divorced parents? I'd like to include Step- and Half- siblings, but I don't see a way to do it right now.

If it's not possible right now I'd like to see that feature added if possible.

I handled this with the "relationships" button using the fields "FROM" and "TO". Only divorced/separated couples with have the "TO" field filled out. The Windsor.family sample covers this with Charles and Diana.
Aug 31, 2007 at 5:49 PM
I love this program. My father and I spent hours on it and are very impressed. Features which we'd like to see added:
1. Linking between existing people (e.g. parallel marriage of in-laws, a set of two sisters marries a set of two brothers)
2. Flag to mark status of information (incomplete, verified) to identify information. e.g. when the year of birth is known, but not the actual date.
3. Date format should prompt when ambiguous date are entered (02 01 2007 = 2nd of January 2007 or February 1st 2007)
4. Place of Birth/Death - link to a mapping software (e.g. google earth) so we can see world view of family with the timeline zoom. This would be great for see how the family has been shift from country to country in time.
Nov 26, 2007 at 6:47 AM
Edited Nov 26, 2007 at 6:56 AM
1. When I look at the code, the Person class already has a field for NickName, but there isn't controls on the UI to capture/modify it.

2. For providing dates, can we provide a tip (reg ex validator) / masked control etc that shows how the date needs to be entered. For eg. the mask could be set as mmm/dd/yyyy. Also allow for changing the format to dd/mm/yyyy

3. Allow setting custom path for C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Family.Show.

but must say that the application is awesome :-)
Dec 6, 2007 at 11:43 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2007 at 11:48 PM
It would be good to have following:
  1. New Filter
  • to display only Matrilinear lines (Should show mothers and daughers) and similarly one for fathers and sons - would be useful to if someone wants to track by Mitochondrial DNA.
  • to display direct descendants.
  1. Automated Bug Reports, when the application crashes.
  2. ability to enable/disable various onscreen components
  3. A menu
  4. ability to print from the application (Yes, rightnow I can print XPS file).

Feb 24, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2008 at 10:18 AM
Hi from FRANCE,

Awesome works !
Love the new interface and could i wish a print feature for next version ?

It will be a fantastic drop as number 1 on the genealogic scene if it would be available in different languages.

Regards.
Feb 26, 2008 at 5:13 AM
Edited Feb 28, 2008 at 1:24 PM
Yes, I agree with iSorcier, its better when you give us a multi-linguage version (with locatization ability). I'll contribute my abolity and time to translation English language pack into Vietnamese.
*Note: relationships between Vietnamese family is very difficulty and complex. I'll post Suffix of all member in a family tree latety!

And, I'm come from Vietnam. So, my FirstNam is FamilyName. How can i convert it ?

And, can you give me a giant view (all of person)?

And, there're someone who born in a location, live in 5 (example) locations (moving house), dead in a other location, but buried in another location. So, how to update the location of that person?

And, what's correctly relations between a husband with 5 wives (2 dead, 3 lives but one of them is first wife)?

And, how can i print out a tree, sub-tree, branch on A4 paper?

And, can I make a video (along to timeline) from this soft to intro my family tree with friends

And, can i restrict someone see full tree-family member; someone see part of tree - friends and someone see nothing - guest?

And, can I publish it to website? Can I skin it?

And, can I make a FamilyTree hosting company (allow multi-user make family tree inviduals for each family)?

And, can i add more Photo for a person (Personal Gallerry)? or Group gallery (Branch tree) or Family Gallery?
Mar 4, 2008 at 6:32 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM

Language support

I translated version 1.0 into swedish, and that was not a walk in the park... Don't know about 2.0.
I would like 3.0 to have a better language support than 1.0. A relatime translation file would be best, but it's also ok to have to re-compile the program if the source code supports translations in a better way than 1.0. If re-compile is necessary, it would be nice if codeplex supports different development branches or equal.
Apr 28, 2008 at 1:56 PM
IF THESE SOFT WANTS TO ROCK

You should be like www.geni.com but in software version. Geni is the best I ever saw, but its online, if you can be like geni, you will be the best in software.

Does still alive this project????
Jun 22, 2008 at 3:28 AM
Edited Jun 22, 2008 at 3:34 AM
I really like family.show. I have started making my own family tree and it's a really easy program to use.

Here's my wish list for v3:

1. A Grand Family Tree view - when you see every body in the family tree at once.
  2. Nicknames - some have more then one name :)
  3. Having more than birth / death location - for example born at location A, moved and lived at location B ...(etc) died at location C
  4. A map - shows where everything from #3 happened on a map (with all the family member or just selected members) (maybe show where person A met B, and then when they got married?...)
  5. Profession and where the job was... so many possibilities with maps (college/university and stuff like that.)

That's it for now.
Oct 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Hello everyone,

Is this project actually alive? I see the codebase is from June of '07, has anybody in the community kept the code going? There is another project that is trying to start a web-based version using this codebase, found also in CodePlex, so I'm just wondering what I should be following? I am just wanting to start inputting my family tree, but my family name goes back a thousand years, and then my progenitor's tree goes back another thousand before that, so I don't want to start inputting this only to find I need to change because something has stalled in development. I don't mind doing some development, but don't want to nor do I have time to take on a whole project.

Regards,
Brian
Nov 13, 2008 at 11:14 PM
I second the PRINT feature and second the Grand Map.  I also had some information wrong and couldn't figure out how to delete a person or insert a generation between people.
Developer
Mar 20, 2009 at 1:49 PM
Edited Nov 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM

There is unimplemented print functionality in the latest source code.  It simply prints which ever part of the diagram is displayed on the screen.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I have just seen that version 3 has been released!

I just have to install it now to see if any of our wishes have been granted

The source code can be downloaded at the codeplex page or you should be able to install it from the Vertigo site http://www.vertigo.com/familyshow.aspx

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Hi,
I'm excited about v3, but I ran into an error (same on two different computers.. Vista). I'm not sure if the problem is with my setup, or the server end. Below are the details of the installation error:

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
Windows : 6.0.6001.65536 (Win32NT)
Common Language Runtime : 2.0.50727.3603
System.Deployment.dll : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
mscorwks.dll : 2.0.50727.3603 (GDR.050727-3600)
dfdll.dll : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
dfshim.dll : 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)

SOURCES
Server : Microsoft-IIS/7.5
X-Powered-By : ASP.NET

ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of http://labs.vertigo.com/FamilyShow/v3/FamilyShow.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
* [18-Nov-09 17:11:07] : Activation of http://labs.vertigo.com/FamilyShow/v3/FamilyShow.application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
Following errors were detected during this operation.
* [18-Nov-09 17:11:08] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
- Source: System.Deployment
- Stack trace:
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifest(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ManifestType manifestType, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.FollowDeploymentProviderUri(SubscriptionStore subStore, AssemblyManifest& deployment, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
--- Inner Exception ---
System.Net.WebException
- The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
- Source: System
- Stack trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
No transaction information is available.

Developer
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:14 AM

For thw Vertigo install problems, see this thread:

http://familyshow.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=9173

Hope that helps.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM

Version 3.0 is great!! of course people always want more, where you add photos for family members it would be great to also be able to add MP4 video - this may require a 3rd party program like VLC media player to play the video so no further programing effort would be required to decode various video formats within family show - only the facility to be able to embed the video as a placeholder on the photo page or similar. Also if the relationship pull down list allowed friend it would be useful to extend family show's usefulness beyond just family trees.