This project is read-only.

Version 4.5.0

May 30, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I downloaded the FamilShow51712.zip file and unzipped it and it created a folder with the Family Show 1.0, 2.0, 3.0,and  4.0  versions folders in it.

I had already installed the Visual Studio 2008 professional version on my computer So when I clicked the unzipped version 4.0 Family Show solution file, it loaded in VS 2008 as a project. 

I had a few problems:

The Project location is not trusted  Running the application may result in security exceptions when it attempts to perform actions which require full trust I select OK to ignore and continue.

Then I get: The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The project will be treated as not under source control.
I do not select remove the source control bindings from the project. So I continue by saying NO

Then I get: The project location is not trusted: again
Running the application may result in security exceptions when it attempts to perform actions which require full trust I select OK to ignore the error

It gives me a Warning about The tag "PERSON" does not exist

I run Build FamilyShow in VB2008, it reports:

Build scceeded

I run Start Debugging
This Successfully ran the Family Show application and I was able to use my Bobbs family prior entered history

I then tried to Publish Family Show in VS2008 so I would not have to have VB loaded.

I answer default for the many questions cause I did not know what they were asking me but get an error.
Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the certificate store.

Now I rerun Start Debuging in VB2008 and I get the error:

Then I runs the Family application. that appears in VB2008  still seems OK

I need help in getting the Ver. 4.5 into an application .exe or is it already available somewere?

Thanks

May 31, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Hi, n00B here so don't hate me!

I've downloaded the 51712 also.

How do I run it? Do I need to have Visual Studio 2008 or something?

Is there a compiler I can use?

Thanks for your patience.

Great app by the way! Easiest Family Tree builder I've ever come across.

Feature Suggestions: Break down "Stories" into multiple categories. Education, Military Service, Career etc.

Also ability to add multiple photos and Tag photos by occasion. Christening, Birthdays, Christmas, first day of school etc.

May 31, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi!

You just need the VB2008 standard version, not the professional. If you use the Pro, or a newer versions the errors start to appear and everything gets messed and the project don’t start, or end with problems that do not allow it to run. I knew it’s stupid but that’s the way…

You just launch the VB program and then open the familyshow application. If you try to run it and succeed, that’s all right, you have the correct VB version and the compilation could be launched and will end successfully, if you just begin having errors, forget it…

If everything ends up successfully you will have a group of files that will allow installing. But it doesn’t install, it just try and then fail. Don't panic, you compilation will run, but without the installation, you just need to run it from the compilation location.

I know it's a mess, and that thing it’s behaving badly, but after the program launch you will end up just fine, with a great application.  Much, but by far much better then V3, more stable, more tuned, more capable, and with much more features. If the last available version was 3, today I probably stayed far from FamilyShow. But were I’m, just selling it on behalf of someone…

Just remember, do not use spaces or non English characters on names, photos, or attachments, the program does not reject it, it just saves the files and then “forget” them and does not allow you to reach it again easily. It’s there, inside the data folder, but you will see them within the program, it simply does not how to handle those names, so it ignores then.

The save file, something with a “familyx” extension is in fact a rar file. You will be capable of open it, but thon mess with it, put it back together is a nono situation, at least to me.

The guys on Microsoft/Coldplay need to trim things up but it’s a great application, not a pro kind of serious genealogic stuff, but a great program for amateurs or family fun. I’ve almost 6K individuals on my ancestor tree family, with a family file of almost 124Kb, with lots of photos, attachments and stories. It behaves very well if you managed to pass the trick start and respect the “name” rules.

If you don’t succeed on the starting let me know, I just don’t know the Coldplay exchange policy, but we will figure out something.

Cheers

2010/5/30 pdqjohnny <notifications@codeplex.com>

I downloaded the FamilShow51712.zip file and unzipped it and it created a folder with the Family Show 1.0, 2.0, 3.0,and  4.0  versions folders in it.

I had already installed the Visual Studio 2008 professional version on my computer So when I clicked the unzipped version 4.0 Family Show solution file, it loaded in VS 2008 as a project. 

I had a few problems:

The Project location is not trusted  Running the application may result in security exceptions when it attempts to perform actions which require full trust I select OK to ignore and continue.

Then I get: The source control provider associated with this solution could not be found. The project will be treated as not under source control.
I do not select remove the source control bindings from the project. So I continue by saying NO

Then I get: The project location is not trusted: again
Running the application may result in security exceptions when it attempts to perform actions which require full trust I select OK to ignore the error

It gives me a Warning about The tag "PERSON" does not exist

I run Build FamilyShow in VB2008, it reports:

Build scceeded

I run Start Debugging
This Successfully ran the Family Show application and I was able to use my Bobbs family prior entered history

I then tried to Publish Family Show in VS2008 so I would not have to have VB loaded.

I answer default for the many questions cause I did not know what they were asking me but get an error.

Now I rerun Start Debuging in VB2008 and I get the error:

Then I runs the Family application. that appears in VB2008  still seems OK

I need help in getting the Ver. 4.5 into an application .exe or is it already available somewere?

Thanks

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (familyshow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email familyshow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com