Family Show

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:46 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Hi there. I have downloaded Family Show and unzipped all the files. I now have Family Show on my Hard Drive. But have I? I have searched through the unzipped files, listing number 1.  2 and 3. Explored every one of them and found not one .exe file to run the program.

I must be doing something wrong or not doing something right, but I did expect that when I unzipped the files I would see an .exe so that I could run Family Show. Can anyone guide this old fogey through the setup so that he can get started evaluating the software? I should say that I am running Win Xp Pro. Many thanks for all and any help. Walt.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM

On the Home tab, the Download link is for the source code since the CodePlex website is for hosting that.  However, at the bottom of that page is the Quick Links section with an Install Family Show link.  That will take you to Vertigo's website for the software installer.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM

On the Home tab, the Download link is for the source code since the CodePlex website is for hosting that.  However, at the bottom of that page is the Quick Links section with an Install Family Show link.  That will take you to Vertigo's website for the software installer.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Hi there. I am so pleased that you replied to me about Family Show. Shortly after placing the post I actually fathomed it out and now have Family Show installed on my computer.
But I have to admit that I am lost as to how to use it. It is a beautiful piece of software and I have already many family members on it, but I am baffled by the lack of control. There are so many things that I would like to do, but there are no facilities to do them. I wish, I wish, I wish that there was a 'walk through' for us beginners, so that we could learn to do what needs doing. The set up I have now, is only there because I was able to import a GEDCOM file with them on. If I hadn't been able to do that then I would have been lost. Do you know of any such 'walk through'? It would make my life easier at this time. But thank you again and again for writing to me. Much appreciated. Regards Walter
----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: Family Show [familyshow:248503]

On the Home tab, the Download link is for the source code since the CodePlex website is for hosting that. However, at the bottom of that page is the Quick Links section with an Install Family Show link. That will take you to Vertigo's website for the software installer.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1435/3483 - Release Date: 03/05/11

</html
Mar 5, 2011 at 3:27 PM

You're welcome. There's a five minute walk-thru video on the Vertigo Family.Show page. Haven't seen it, so I'm not sure how useful it is. The software isn't hard to use, you just need to play around with it to get the feel for it. There are also other software available that have been based on this: chronoplexsoftware.com and MacFamilyTree. Sadly, this website hasn't been updated in a while and people have been submitting ideas and source patches for a while, but Vertigo hasn't been responding.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Hi there. You won't believe this, but I have just solved my problem with Family Show and have actually put together a dummy family with cross links and whathaveyou. So I am more than satisfied. At one time today I gave up on it and downloaded 'Gramps' but then found that I had to doqwnload this and that and at 80 I hadn't a clue as to how to pin it all together. So it was back to Family Show and hey! I have cracked it. You played your part because, and maybe you didn't know it, you encouraged me to go on and not give up. Thanks for everything. Regards to you and yours. Walt
----- Original Message -----
To: [email removed]
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: Family Show [familyshow:248503]

You're welcome. There's a five minute walk-thru video on the Vertigo Family.Show page. Haven't seen it, so I'm not sure how useful it is. The software isn't hard to use, you just need to play around with it to get the feel for it. There are also other software available that have been based on this: chronoplexsoftware.com and MacFamilyTree. Sadly, this website hasn't been updated in a while and people have been submitting ideas and source patches for a while, but Vertigo hasn't been responding.

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 10.0.1204 / Virus Database: 1435/3483 - Release Date: 03/05/11

</htm
Mar 6, 2011 at 1:50 AM
cypher000 wrote:

At one time today I gave up on it and downloaded 'Gramps' but then found that I had to doqwnload this and that and at 80 I hadn't a clue as to how to pin it all together.

Gramps isn't too stand-alone or user-friendly. This is. Glad to hear you've decided to start your family tree. Hope you have some family member who's as interested as you are to help out. The software isn't hard, collecting all the info from many sources is. Look into ancestry.com for family names that might be related. Good luck!

Bassam

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Hi!

I’m using Familyshow v4, almost from the moment it was available. And yesterday I step on my Family Tree.

It seems to be that some folks step on to the software; it’s the same although they call it v1. Same appearance and behavior.

I’m going to try it, at least they could develop it a bit further, adding some useful tricks, let’s see.

bye