Performance Improvements in Progress

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Edited Mar 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM

I'm working on a set of performance improvements for loading/importing. Here are some timings:

4.0 4.0 My Family Tree 1.11 My Family Tree1.11 This patch This patch
  Import Switch Import Switch Import Switch
File1 ( 5100 people) 2:05 30 1:25 2 0:15 2
File2 (10600 people) 8:25 30 3:30 2 0:25 2

Import time is (minutes:seconds); time to switch to another person is (seconds).

The last remaining bit to do is actually saving stories.

I hope to upload a patch with these changes, and more details, this weekend.

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Are you familiar with http://chronoplexsoftware.com/index.htm by one of the Family.Show people here?

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM
BAbdulBaki wrote:

Are you familiar with http://chronoplexsoftware.com/index.htm by one of the Family.Show people here?

Yes. I made reference in the figures to "My Family Tree" which is the Chronoplex version. It performs a bit better than Family.Show V4, but is still too slow for large trees. I did not realize that Chronoplex was by a member of Family.Show.

I've been using the Family.Show as a platform for my own projects and the ability to fix issues is key (e.g. the Chronoplex version refuses to import a couple of my GED files).

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM

The patch has been posted.

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:48 AM

I'm curious, does your patch cover the previous patches (including mine) that were uploaded? If so, could you attach the compiled exes since I no longer have VS2008/10 on my laptop.

Thanks,

Bassam

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I'll work on putting together a fully patched EXE.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Done. "Fully" patched V4 EXEs and sources. Uploaded to the "patches" area.

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I haven't fully tested it yet, but I did notice that it loaded faster even though it took a while to start up on my old laptop. Also, I noticed that the data list on the right was not defaulted to sort by name. I had to click on the name header to sort it.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Edited Mar 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM
BAbdulBaki wrote:

I'm curious, does your patch cover the previous patches (including mine) that were uploaded?

I think that sums up a problems with this project, as there is nobody reviewing the patches that have been applied - and merging them with the projects main code (which has not been updated since 2009).

As far as I can see none of this project's coordinators or developers have been active on CodePlex in the recent past!

Thanks to notonyournelly for taking the time to go though the previous patches, and uploading a zip of the updated source code. As well as working on the performance.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM
BAbdulBaki wrote:

Also, I noticed that the data list on the right was not defaulted to sort by name. I had to click on the name header to sort it.

I'll look into this. 

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM
paul90 wrote:

Thanks to notonyournelly for taking the time to go though the previous patches, and uploading a zip of the updated source code. As well as working on the performance.

Thank you paul90 for the kind words. I was wondering a little if BAbdulBaki and I were the only folks interested in the project...

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM
No,
that's untrue
diamantino
No dia 19 de Março de 2012 23:20, notonyournelly <notifications@codeplex.com> escreveu:

paul90 wrote:

Thank you paul90 for the kind words. I was wondering a little if BAbdulBaki and I were the only folks interested in the project...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (familyshow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email familyshow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I'm still interested in this project because it is remarkable. I sent Vertigo an email last week and they said that this project is no longer being maintained. So patches and uploads by the users is all we can hope to see. I've made the switch to ChronoplexSoftware since it was developed by elyoh of here. But I still like to keep tabs on this page in the hopes that Vertigo might change their mind.