Looking for Inspiration

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I've been assured by several folks that they are indeed following this project and hoping it would become more active.

To help inspire folks (myself included) to work on this project, please give some feedback here for Family.Show ideas. Some questions you might try answering:

• What is Family.Show missing which prevents you from using it as your main genealogy program?
  • How might Family.Show be changed to make it better, easier to use?
  • What data can't be imported via GEDCOM? Do you have a GED file that cannot be imported?

If possible, please enter bugs in Issue Tracker.

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Couple of nice to have:

1. A report viewer (XX/XY) similar to ViewGED (http://www.ccountry.net/~dix/gedright.htm) or GedView (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tmark/GedView.html).

2. The ability to see who's connected together in each tree. Trees in family.show can be disconnected. In the list on the right, it would be nice if the names were grouped by tree # before being sorted alphabetically. It would allow you to find connections easier.

Tree 1

Person A

Person B

etc.

Tree 2

Person C

etc.

Mar 29, 2012 at 7:47 PM

You added the Tree list according to the patch_status.txt file? Nice! I'll check it out from home.

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Works like a charm. Thanks! I have 24 separate trees, four of which are single-node trees that may have to be deleted. The rest need to be combined somehow. Try adding multi-column sort so the trees can be sorted first.

Thanks,

Bassam

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Tagging added images would be nice, especially for group pictures. Captions would also be nice. Dates for the pictures and changing pictures with the years would be nice.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Tagging added images would be nice, especially for group pictures. Captions would also be nice. Dates for the pictures and changing pictures with the years would be nice.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM

One feature that I would like to see is the ability to add a person's profile from one of the popular social sites (e.g., Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter) and download whatever public profile pictures and dates they have.

Thanks,

Bassam

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:06 AM

I would be the happiest man on the planet if Family.Show could have the following features:

1. Most important - export to swf for example. That would be a million dollar feature, because I could upload the swf file online and have my interactive family tree like I see it on my desktop. Visitors could browse my tree, like in Family.Show... Actually, any kind of feature which will allow me to publish my family tree online with the same visual and interactive feeling and effects which I have offline. Except entering data.... Or even better - a flash version of family.show browsing functionality and only xml file to export which will be then sent to the personal server so that swf, which resides online, could read it and animate....

2. Surname of a woman before the marriage. Usually girls change their names. But the new name is not a suffix... Somewhere it is, when they keep their family last name, but usually it is not the case... i.e. Elizabeth Taylor, born Smith

3. Don't count age if the "Living" mark is unchecked. i.e. If I don't know when someone, born in 1871. died, but I confirmed he is not alive, there is no reason to show that he has 140+ years of age...

4. End of marriage - year of death of a spouse. It should be represented by a dotted line (maybe with a different color than the color of a dotted line representing a divorce), maybe with a year of death beneath the line, too. Even though she is a widow, she is now available to get married.... Or he, just the same.

While eagerly waiting for at least the feature num. 1

wish you all the best!

Aug 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Exporting to SWF or HTML5 would be awesome!