This project is read-only.

Is it Damaged .familyx file?? How to repair?

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Edited Jun 18, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Hi there

I have spent quite awhile building a family tree using V3.0.

It was working until now but this morning I can only see the names of the family in side column on the bottom right but can not see the TREE.

see image.

http://i39.tinypic.com/335f57k.jpg

I cam expand the the FAMILY and can filter them, also can change the SKINS and import an GEDCOM (kennedy) and even can start a new file.. BUT it will not show the family I built nor export it to GEDCOM and suddenly stop working.. So it is confirmed that it has nothing to do with the application but the .familyx file..

What is wrong with it? how can I repair it??

Regards

 

see image

http://i42.tinypic.com/34gsnd0.jpg

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Hi

This sometimes happens to me when the file gets corrupted.

Are you using photos or stories?  I generally got problems when using photos or stories.  If you are able to upload the actual file, I'm happy to take a look and see if I can repair it.

A tip for the future is to always make a backup of a tree file before editing it, that way, if you make a change and a bug corrupts the file, you can always go back to the old file.

Regards

elyoh

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2009 at 1:00 PM

thanks elyoh yes I have only pictures in there no stories.. and it is too big to upload..

Anyway

I have followed your other threads and did the followings.

changed the .familyx into zip and

removed all the images reference from content.xml replacing it with <photo /> tag,

removed relationships targets to images leaving only /content.xml in .rels

removed images folder,

removed photo references, extentions from [Content_types].xml

Rezipped the whole folder again changed name to .familx and run it

No success...

What else can I do???

regards

 

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:28 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Did the familyx load in the side column on the bottom right once you had edited via un zipping etc? 

I'm guessing it didn't because of the awkward way zipping up works.   The next bit is hard to explain so bear with me :)

Best way to do this "zipping" is select content.xml, [Content_types].xml, Stories, Images, _Rels and then compress to .zip rather than zipping the parent folder which I think you did based on the above.

Just zipping the folder gives this structure which won't work:

file.zip    

file

content.xml

[Content_types].xml,

Stories

Images

_Rels

You need this structure:

file.zip    

content.xml

[Content_types].xml,

Stories

Images

_Rels

Apologies if you already got that structure it's difficult to explain.

 

Also, I think that [Content_types].xml should be preserved.  You can restore from below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Types xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/package/2006/content-types">
<Default Extension="xml" ContentType="text/xml" />
<
Default Extension="rels" ContentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-package.relationships+xml" />
<
Default Extension="jpg" ContentType="image/jpeg" />
<Default Extension="rtf" ContentType="text/richtext" />
</Types>

elyoh

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Thanks again Elyoh for pointing out the "rezipping"process.

Anyway no matter what I do it is still not working.

I think I have to redo the whole thinkg again :) with as many backups as possible.. hmm

 

Just one silly question.Because I am only using windows firewall on Windows7...

I do not think so but Does the FamilyShow have to be connected to internet??

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM
Edited Jun 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Corruption

I have two other suggestions about the file:

  1. Did you change a date, save and then find the file wouldn't load? There is a bug I found with dates in the program which sometimes results in the tree not displaying due to a malformed date tag in the XML file. 
  2. If you have visual studio installed, it may be possible find the exact cause by using the debugger.  Instead of a simple close program option, it will also offer a debug option and would certainly confirm the date error if it existed.

If this doesn't work, I can't think of anything else with out examining the file.  ( You could create an issue which has upload functionality - http://familyshow.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx). I had similar experience to you with corrupted file after corupted file.  I spent a couple of months working out the bugs in the source and adding features.  Hopefully the developers will fix some issues in the future.  Hopefully it won't take too long for you to recreate.

Internet connection

Internet connection is required for install and possibly the repair process of the installer.  Aside from that, you can disconnect from the internet after installation and the internet is no longer required for the program to function. 

Kind regards

elyoh

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:53 AM

If you have a working version from before, I suggest you use Winmerge to compare the XML between that and the corrupted one.  Even a v2 to v3 comparision should give you an idea if the XML got corrupted.  If all else is the same, then copy the new XML to a separate file and save it in the old extension and try opening it in v2.