Image Tagging

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I have a couple of family reunion group photos that I would like to add somewhere (do not wish to associate with a person) and tag a whole bunch of people based upon the year the photo was taken.  Any chance you can add that functionality?  Much obliged if you do.  :-)

Developer
Jun 29, 2009 at 9:08 AM

It sounds like a good idea.  I tried to do something similar but I got stuck onhow to implement it simply because the program uses "people" as it's means of organising everything.  Unless you created a "dummy" person which did not display in the tree I could not see how this could be done.  It's is a problem with version 3 simply because it's difficult to link the same file with many people. 

I would like to see a photo viewer page which loads all photos in the familyx file in one window and give the ability to edit photo tags, and link photos with more people.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM

An easy fix would be to put them all under their own nodes.

<Family>

- <PeopleCollection>

- -  <Person>

- <PhotoCollection>

- <StoryCollection>

Then the other two nodes could be used and tagged to one or more people.

Dec 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Elyoh and Vertigo,

Any chance you can start tackling this next?  I have a lot of family pictures that I would like to tag multiple people in and do not want to duplicate them.  The photos and stories should really be separate so that common items could be tagged to multiple people, especially immediate family photos of mom, dad, and the kids.  The photos could thus all be displayed at once (in a grid or timeline) or by selecting one or more people.  Also, it would make it easier to exchange information if the photos and stories are separated and only the PeopleCollection (as described above) is emailed to a collaborating partner.

Thanks!

Developer
Dec 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM

A way to do this is to "Link" the photo to multiple people.  This is possible using the latest builds.  Any file already attached to one person can be linked to another.  This is not full "image tagging" functionality but will allow one file to be attached to multiple people keeping file size down. 

To do this, go to the person, Photos and Stories, select "Add" and then "Link existing image..."

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Cool!  That's a start.  It would still be nice to allow tagging so that you can tell who's who.  Adding a date to the image would also allow us to see it in a timeline.

Thanks!

Developer
Dec 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2009 at 10:36 PM

If you wanted, you could edit file properties in something like Windows Live Photo Gallery or Windows Explorer to add a title or tag containing the key to who is who e.g.  Top row (left to right): Dad, Mum, Auntie etc and that text will display right under the photo in Family.Show version 4 and version 3.  Only works for formats which allow properties such a jpeg.

Again only a partial solution but hope that helps.

elyoh

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Thanks, but I'd rather do all the work from within FS.  Since I'm still working on names and dates, I can put off the images until it becomes available.  Also, as it is, it's not fast enough with over 1,500 family members.

Thanks!

Bassam