web version of Family.Show

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Edited Dec 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM

It would be nice to be able to host a web version of Family.Show on an IIS server, so I can share it with the rest of the family...

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:42 AM

In the past, it was suggested that a Silverlight version of the application be created which could be used online. It does make sense to do this as Family.Show is a WPF reference application. Also, Vertigo's Slide.Show and Video.Show are both Silverlight based, online publishing applications so they have experience with it. I don't know if this will ever happen or not.

What I have been doing to share my tree with my family is just creating an executable installation package, burning it to a disk and giving it to them. You can even include your family tree in the installation so that it is installed with Family.Show. If you would like to use the .exe that I created, I would be happy to send it to you.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM

*bump

As spread out as most families are, I would have thought that the web would have been a natural direction for the project.
Especially if the intent is to make it as available as possible to 10 to 100 family members across the country/world, and conceivably more than one editor of the info.

Has anyone successfully converted this to XBAP or Silverlight for the web to be made available via ASP.Net website?

or have any idea of how it could be done? 

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Anyone want to help out with web version? 4.0.Web?

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I would, of course, be happy to help, but as I mentioned in my post, I have little experience with WPF, Silverlight, etc..  my work has pretty much been limited to ASP.Net web, C#.