This project is read-only.

19,000 individuals

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM
Edited Jul 20, 2007 at 11:57 PM
I decided to give this app a real test and opened my ged file that contains 19,000 people. It took 30 minutes to load and is very slow to respond to anything.

I know this may be an unusual amount of people, but it does happen and I would be interested in seeing how to optimize wpf applications.
Jul 20, 2007 at 7:22 PM
Wow! What a big family!
Jul 20, 2007 at 10:02 PM
And those are just the ones who come by to ask for money.

guercheLE wrote:
Wow! What a big family!

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM
Yes - that's a pretty large GEDCOM file. It's by no means beyond the capabilities of WPF, but we didn't spend time optimizing for this number of individuals. I found a GEDCOM file with about 8000 people, and that imported successfully. The import took a while, but once it had completed the application ran surprisingly smoothly (better than I was expecting, anyway).

At this stage, probably the biggest limitation is that we don't have any test source files that large. Although I completely understand if you didn't want to share for privacy reasons, we'd certainly like to test your scenario ourselves - you're welcome to contact me offline via my blog http://blogs.msdn.com/tims if you wanted us to have a look.

Tim
Jul 22, 2007 at 3:06 PM
I loaded my 36,000 person file and it took close to 3 hours. Trying to move around on the screen with that file is unbearably slow.
My PC is a Dell 4100 933MHZ cpu with 512mb of memory.

To get a large GEDCOM file for testing go to www.rootsweb.com do search for a name and then double click on the data base name to see how large it is. You find several with 100K persons in them.

Jim