This project is read-only.

View Complete Tree

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Edited Feb 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Is there a way to see the entire tree which shows everyone that is in the project?

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:44 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Tricky question!  In version 3, this is limited to 50 people for performance and useabilty/manageability of the diagram.

In the upcoming version 4, there will be extra options to switch off this limit and customise other tree display options.

In either case you still can't show every single person in the family at once because it will become too messy to display correctly.  The video on the Vertigo site explains that quite well.

We use a model which basically takes the current person's immediate ancestors and immediate descendants for displaying in the tree.

Some limitations are:

1. If I am selected in a tree, I can't see my son in law's parents etc.
  2. If I am selected in a tree, I can't see my brother's children and spouses.

It's difficult to explain clearly but I hope that helps,

elyoh

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:44 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm actually running the latest source which looks like v4.ish and have noticed the right click options on the tree view.

In the Extending Family.Show in the whitepaper is mentions "Create another visualization that displays everyone in one giant tree." How would this differ to the current tree view? Would get around the "messiness" some how?

ps. I've also come across a few bugs (which I fixed). Is the project active and interested in receiving bug reports?

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Instead of a tree, how about a list like this?

http://www.ccountry.net/~dix/viewged.htm

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:03 AM
Edited Feb 5, 2010 at 12:19 AM

You can report any bugs on the Issue Tracker tab.  Hopefully it's nothing critical.

The "messiness"

For each person their ancestral generation has  2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 32 if you just include parents, grandparents etc.  Likewise if we assume 2 children per couple thats 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 32 for each generation.  If your in to math that's basically a power law which means that the number of people to display quickly grows extremely large even for only 5 generations.  Multiply by a few in laws and a few siblings and it quickly becomes a big object to display in a relatively small space.  Maybe a good analogy is trying to draw full engineering schematics for the space shuttle on an A4 piece of paper!  By limiting the scope of what is displayed to one family group (or a single shuttle component) it's much easier to visualise and write code for.

So how to implement?

That said I think it's definately possible to create this "giant view".  I've only been working on the program after version 3 was lauched so I'm not sure what original developers had in mind.

If I were going to try it, I would think about changing the diagram connectors so that they were horizontal and vertical lines like in the more traditional family tree. Each group could then be offset more easily.  I'd look at the option to use smaller icons, and/or names only view as well.

Hope that helps

elyoh